QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Friday, October 21, 2011

1862 Battle Hymn


The November/December issue of McCall's Quilting has three ads for Civil War reproduction prints!
I think mine is the best.




Click here to see more about this Christmas issue:



My fabric will be shipped to quilt shops in January, but the precuts should be out during the holiday season.
The ad has a sneak preview of the project pattern that shops can offer with the fabric.

1862 Battle Hymn
by Barbara Brackman and Susan Stiff

The pattern is a variation on a design known as Jacob's Ladder that was also called Underground Railroad by Ruth Finley in her 1929 book. We added three Bella Solids to the project in red, ivory and brown for some kick.


The block's a simple nine-patch that can be shaded and set in many ways...

Antique Quilt from about 1900
...resulting in many effects. It was most popular in the 1890-1920 years

Another antique in two colors

Here is one from Laura Fisher's online antique quilt shop.

There are always variations for sale in online auctions.

Read more about the 1862 Battle Hymn fabric here:
http://www.unitednotions.com/fcc_1862_battle_hymn.pdf

7 comments:

  1. Barbara said:
    I think mine is the best.

    Me says: I think so too!!

    I am ready to do a Jacobs Lighting quilt! sure hope my shop gets the bella solids as well....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course yours is the best! I'm hoping that Moda will have some available at Sample Spree so I can bring some home from market with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, it is so nice in person, I am afraid to cut it, lol.
    I do love the pattern you made with it, I like that variation and that would look good on my bed.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [22 Oct 02:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Battle Hymn looks fantastic.. .I am already hooked on the civil war reproductions.... adding one more item to my "wish list"... thank you !!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barabara! My heart hasn't stopped racing from purchasing your Lately Arrived from London, and now you come out with another "must have" line?!!! Battle Hymn is definitely going into my stash!

    ReplyDelete