QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Autumn in Vienna Pattern

Autumn in Vienna
10" x 20-3/4"

Here's a free pattern for a little wall quilt to add 
autumn color to your arts and crafts bungalow
or modern rancher.

Autumn in Vienna
is made with prints from my
Morris Modernized collection from Moda,
plus a solid color in an autumn pumpkin shade

The wallhanging is called Autumn in Vienna because the design is derived from the trademark of the Viennese Workshop (the Wiener Werkstättein the early 20th century.

About 1910, the arts and crafts workshop in Vienna
was the center of modernism.

Vienna Lily 
I had already done a triptych using the geometric floral but this is a smaller and simpler project that looks more like the trademark.
See the pattern for the Vienna Lily Triptych here:


Pattern for a 10" x 20-3/4" Wallhanging

The floral finishes to 10" square.
Here's the pattern for the top half from the Historically Modern Blog

Fabric Requirements
I focused on the Persimmon colorway in my 
Morris Modernized: CFA Voysey line.

8260-14

I used a long quarter yard of the Oleander print in Persimmon for binding, strips F and squares G.

8261-14
I used a fat quarter of the Thistle print in Persimmon for B, E and C and the appliqued leaf.

8264-13
I used a fat quarter of the Bird & Tulip print in Persimmon for A. This makes a great backing so you might buy a third of a yard and use it for the A triangles and the 10-1/2" x 21-1/4 backing.

You need a charm square (5" x 5") of light for 2 G squares.
I used a fat quarter of a plain harvest orange for D squares and the background rectangles in the stem area.
Ochre in Moda's Bella Solids is a good match.


Cutting Instructions for Floral

A - Cut 2 squares 5 7-8".

Cut each in half diagonally to make 2 triangles. You need 4 triangles.

B - Cut 1 square 6-1/4".

Cut with 2 diagonal cuts to make 4 triangles. 

C - Cut 1 rectangle 1-3/8" x 5-1/2"
D - Cut 4 squares 2-5/8"
E - Cut 2 rectangles 2-5/8" x 1-3/8"

Cutting the Stem Area

The lower stem design with the horizontal line
finishes to 10" wide by 10-3/4"



F- Cut 2 strips 1-1/4" x 10-1/2"  
G- Cut 2 light and 2 dark squares 2-1/4"
H- Cut one background rectangle 6-1/4" x 10-1/2"
I- Cut one background rectangle 4" x 7"
J- Use the template, cut 1 leaf  and add scant seams.


Click on this picture. Save it to a JPG or word file.
Print it out so the gray box is 4-1/2" The diagonal
line on the leaf needs to measure about 5" long.


Sewing



Bind it in the same fabric as the F strips.
I finished it on Halloween
so here it is with some of Kathe's
collection of scary noisemakers.

Options
Digital sketches

 Table Runner
Finished size 10" x 42-1/4".
Make two rectangular blocks.
Flip one and connect with a strip cut 1-1/4" x 10-1/2" .

And a Triptych of 3 small quilts would fill up a wider wall space.

Like over the plate rail in your
Arts & Crafts dining room.

Quilting
I hand-quilted this mostly with parallel lines in the backgrounds and triangles, thinking that the simplest geometry would be be modern enough for the Viennese in 1910.

3 comments:

  1. I love Wiener Werkstätte design and I am so excited that you're coming out with a fabric line that includes it. I've got the release date marked on my calendar so I can order a bundle immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how that looks with 3 on the wall, nice design and simple to do.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. me gusta !!!
    tiene colores muy otoñales precioso
    saludos

    ReplyDelete